Three Mommy Experts have teamed up to bring your simple solutions for surviving the witching hours. Michelle Winters, Sleep Consultant at Sleepwell Sleep Solutions, Katie O’Brien, Life Coach at Life Coach for Moms, and myself at TeachSpeech Therapy bring you our top tips for bliss during the Witching Hours.
First, create peace & stress less during the witching hours
- Begin with a peaceful wake-up. Simplify your morning routine to create a peaceful foundation from the very start.
- Give yourself breaks. Avoid the go-go-go mentality throughout the day to prevent burnout and save energy for the end of the day.
- Create systems to simplify tasks that need to be done. Find systems that save energy and allow you to stress less.
Create connection with your child & add a language rich experience
- Children learn best through imitation and repetition. A simple routine can help teach your children language.
- Read books, play games, sing nursery rhymes, board games and simply chatting about the day’s events help grow your child’s language.
- The benefits include a special one on one bond, but also creates calm and connection.
And lastly, create a calm relaxing, bedtime routine
- Baths may not be as calming as we think. Try to keep them early in the bedtime routine.
- Dim lights and turn off all electronics. Avoid tickle fights and wrestling, stick to books, songs and simple chats.
- Get the timing right. Takes 15-20 minutes to fall asleep. Use the chart below to see how often and long your children should be sleeping.
- Consistency is KEY no matter what. Avoid intermittent reinforcement